I’m always looking for new ways to perk myself up when I’m having a bit of a down day. I’ve got my ride or die rituals and I’ve tested a few things out that didn’t really help me. Here are a few things I believe can really help you out when you’re feeling gloomy.
- Wake your body up with something refreshing and beneficial to your health, I drink lemon, honey and ginger in hot water. This drink is so good for you! It helps your digestive system, skin, energizes you and can help with bad throats/colds, stomach upsets and it’s a great one for a hangover! All I do to make it is squeeze half a lemon into a mug, add a table spoon of honey, throw in some chopped (or grated if you like it to be intense) ginger, cover with hot water and give it a stir.
- Fill your tummy up with good stuff! If you’re feeling shit most of the time you want to eat shit… don’t. Eating fast food, chocolate or sweets will not make you feel any better. Fill up on something packed with vitamins and antioxidants or at least something that is slightly healthy. My personal favourites are berries and melon. Chop up any old fruit and throw it on a bowl, snack throughout the day instead of on bad foods like crisps!
- Get outside, get some fresh air. It doesn’t really matter if it’s raining right? 4 legged companion or not, go for a walk. I’m very lucky I live around farms and fields and have a little Westie to accompany me on my adventures. I don’t always walk with my dog though, nor do I only walk in the sunshine. Walking is a great way to get some fresh air in and help relax your mind and body even if you’re only out for half an hour! Not to mention it’s a great way to get some exercise in, which leads me to my next point…
- THE DREADED EXERCISE!? Exercise… to make you feel better? I know, but it does really work. As said before, walking is great. If you’re a runner, even better! How about some squats? Doesn’t really matter what you do, try and get a 30 minute work out in when you’re feeling rubbish. It’ll make you feel like you’ve accomplished something. I have a treadmill and exercise bike at home and just use those, I hate the work out part really but I always feel better an hour after!
- Have some you time. Take some time to watch a TV series or read a book. Get in your comfy clothes and lay in or on your bed. I usually have a little pamper during like paint my nails or do my fake tan before hand. This can really help to de-stress and relax.
- My final tip is cuddle something furry and purry… I’m forever bothering my cat. Picking him up and snuggling down with him. I don’t really know why but spending time with animals really helps a lot of people when they feel down, it definitely does it for me.
These tips may not all work for you, but they’re worth a try! If you have anything you like to get up to on your down days let me know via twitter or commenting on here!
Love Abz x